Optometric vision therapy is a sequence of neurosensory and neuromuscular activities individually prescribed and monitored by the optometrist to develop, rehabilitate and enhance visual skills and processing.
The vision therapy program that is prescribed is based on the results of a comprehensive eye examination or consultation and takes into consideration the results of standardized tests, the need of the patient and patient’s signs and symptoms.
The use of lenses, prisms, filters, occluders, specialized instruments and computers programs are an integral part of optometric vision therapy.
The length of the therapy program varies depending on the severity of the diagnosed conditions, typically ranging from several months to longer periods of time.
Therapy procedures that often parallel in-office techniques are often taught to the patient to be used at home, thereby reinforcing the developing visual skills.
Vision therapy is aimed at helping and enhancing individuals’ visual abilities. These sessions include procedures designed to enhance the brains ability to control.
- Eye alignment
- Eye tracking and eye teaming
- Eye focusing abilities
- Eye fixations
- Eye movements
- Eye Co-ordination
- Visual processing
- Eye-hand co-ordination
- Visual perceptual development
Who benefits from vision therapy?
Those who lack the necessary visual skills for effective reading, written and learning like, eye movement and focusing skills, convergence, eye-hand activity, visual memory skills etc.
- Poor binocular co-ordination
- Accommodative disorders (Focusing problems)
- Amblyopia (Lazy eye)
- Diplopia (Double vision)
- Strabismus (Cross-eyed, wandering eye, eye turns etc.)
- Visual rehabilitation for Athletes & sports persons to enhance their visual skills.
- Visual information processing disorders including visual-motor integration & integration with other sensory modalities.
- Visual rehabilitation for special needs with developmental delays, cerebral palsy, ADHD, Autism spectrum disorders
- Concussion, post-concussion syndrome, traumatic brain injury, stroke
The goal of a prescribed vision therapy treatment regime is to achieve desired visual outcomes, alleviate the signs and symptoms meet the patients needs and improve the patient’s quality of life.
Sports Vision Training
Visual performance evaluation is conducted to identify & address visual strengths & weaknesses while playing any sports.
It evaluates how quickly one can process & react to visual information.
Based on which, certain exercises are prescribed that help in developing faster reaction time & improve hand eye coordination.
For more details or to book appointment